Indspire announces the recipients of the 2022 Guiding the Journey Educator Awards
December 20, 2022.
Ohsweken, ON. – Indspire is pleased to announce this year’s recipients of the Guiding the Journey: Educator Awards, which were presented at the 2022 National Gathering for Indigenous Education on November 23-25, 2022, in Winnipeg, MB. The Gathering is the largest national event of its kind, where educators and partners annually come together to share their voices and work to improve the educational outcomes of K-12 First Nations, Inuit and Métis students.
The Guiding the Journey: Educator Awards recognize Indigenous educators, one Indigenous organization, and one non-Indigenous educator who have made valuable contributions to community-based education and who honour the principles of Indigenous knowledge.
Indspire thanks its presenting corporate sponsors, Suncor Energy Foundation and Suncor Energy Inc., for their support of the Guiding the Journey Awards and the National Gathering for Indigenous Education.
“The process of enacting reconciliation through education is the work of many hands,” said Mike DeGagné, President and CEO of Indspire. “We are proud to celebrate and honour these educators who are doing this essential work each day, supporting their students and communities through their leadership, innovative practice, and dedication to community.”
The 2022 Guiding the Journey Award recipients are:
Halifax Regional Centre for Education
Culture, Language and Traditions
Kelsey Community School
Seven Oaks School Division
Nunavut National Arts Centre’s Music Alive Program
Partner in Indigenous Education
Allison Norman Atlookan
John C. Yesno Education Centre
Boyle Street Education Centre
For full bios on each of the recipients, please visit https://indspire.ca/events/guiding-the-journey/.
Indspire would like to thank the following sponsors of the 2022 National Gathering, whose investment in this important annual event is creating significant positive change in Indigenous education:
- Lead Partner: The Government of Canada
- Presenting Corporate Sponsor: Suncor Energy Inc.
- Guiding the Journey: Educator Awards Sponsor: Suncor Energy Foundation
- Teacher Education Sponsor: The Rideau Hall Foundation
- Major Sponsor: Hudson’s Bay Foundation
- Supporting Sponsors: Scotiabank and Syncrude
- Pre-Gathering Workshop Sponsor: Shell Canada
- Partners in Education Welcome Reception Sponsor: CN
- Workshop Series Sponsors: LNG Canada and Indigenous Institutes Consortium
- Workshop Sponsors: Arrowsmith School, Imperial, and the Rupertsland Institute
- Break Sponsors: Highwater Press, Ontario Teachers Federation, TIPI Insurance, Yorkville University and the Toronto Film School
Indspire is an Indigenous national charity that invests in the education of First Nations, Inuit, and Métis people for the long-term benefit of these individuals, their families and communities, and Canada. With the support of its funding partners, Indspire provides financial awards, delivers programs, and shares resources so that First Nations, Inuit, and Métis students will achieve their highest potential. In 2021-2022, Indspire provided more than $23 million through 6,612 bursaries and scholarships to First Nations, Inuit, and Métis students across Canada.
Director, Communications and Marketing