Research Assistant Program
The Research Assistant program provides a supportive learning environment for up-and-coming Indigenous researchers to receive hands-on work experience in quantitative research and data analysis roles.
This program will expose Research Assistants to a wide range of skills transferable to academic and professional settings through a combination of formal module training and workshops, hands-on work experience contributing to Indspire’s research agenda, and experience leading self-directed research projects. They will learn how to work effectively in a remote environment, enabling more Indigenous researchers to work in and for their home communities.
We are also looking to recruit mentors who will provide guidance to the Research Assistants: Indigenous professionals in the fields of analytics, economics, statistics, and applied research.
Join us as a…
- A First Nations, Inuit, or Métis student in your final year of an undergraduate degree or higher—or you’ve completed a degree in the past two years
- Interested in attending graduate school or working in a research-related career
- A drive to learn, especially in a fast-paced, hands-on environment
- An introductory exposure to statistics and economics material with strong numeracy skills
- A genuine interest in learning more about statistics and econometrics in an applied context
- A capacity to read and understand data from a variety of sources and synthesize understanding across multiple data sources
- An interest in applying data science in an Indigenous context in Canada to support and promote Indigenous interests
- A desire to contribute to the national understanding of Indigenous education and labour market outcomes
About the Role
The position responsibilities of the Research Assistants include:
- Producing research results under supervision
- Creating content for Indspire’s cornerstone reports
- Participating in online training and mentorship, as well as in person
- Developing materials for communicating results, including reports, blog entries, videos and other resources
- Cleaning and evaluating current data holdings
- Supporting Indspire in developing research directions
- Working in a small team to manage projects and produce research results
- Providing feedback on program objectives for reporting
- Supporting the Research and Impact Unit in responding to data requests
- A First Nations, Inuit, or Métis professional pursuing a career in an analytic field: statistics, analytics, economics, applied research
- Willing to work collaboratively with Indspire’s Research Nest Team
- Interested in being a mentor to the next generation of Indigenous researchers, statisticians, economists, and scientists
If you are interested in joining the Research Assistant Program as a Research Assistant or Mentor, please send us an email at email@example.com.
Current Research Assistants
If you have any questions regarding the Research Assistant Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1.855.INDSPIRE (463.7747).