About Guiding the Journey Indigenous Educator Awards
Indigenous educators guide their students’ journey through leadership, innovative practice, and dedication to community. Guiding the Journey recognizes Indigenous educators who have made valuable contributions to community-based education and honour the principles of Indigenous knowledge. Award recipients will receive a framed award, a $1,000 prize and an all-expense paid trip to the awards ceremony held in various cities across Canada each year. Recipients must accept and attend the event in order to receive the award.
- Community Service – First Nation, Inuit or Métis person who demonstrated commitment to K-12 students over the span of a long career in education.
- Innovative Practice – First Nation, Inuit or Métis person who consistently demonstrates teaching practices and strategies that exemplify excellence in terms of creativity, use of technology and effective pedagogy in the classroom.
- Leadership – First Nation, Inuit or Métis person who consistently takes on a leadership role in the educational community that fosters achievement amongst K-12 students.
- Language, Culture and Traditions – First Nation, Inuit or Métis person who integrates language, culture and Indigenous knowledge into classroom learning and creates a learning environment that is open to multiple ways of knowing the world.
- Role Model – First Nation, Inuit or Métis person who teaches by example, positive and healthy lifestyle choices that have had a significant influence on K-12 students.
- Partner in Indigenous Education – Non-Indigenous educator who has made a significant contribution to furthering K-12 Indigenous student success.
- Organization Award – School, School Board or Indigenous education organization that has developed models, strategies, and programs that have made an impact in the field of Indigenous Education.
Deadline to Nominate
Application including support letters, must be completed or received by February 28, 2018 to email@example.com.
If you have questions, please contact us:
1.855.INDSPIRE (463.7747) x252
Frequently asked questions