Are you an Indigenous person considering graduate school or a career in data science, research or analytics? Are you an Indigenous student or Indigenous recent graduate looking for work experience that allows you to contribute to Indigenous education?
Apply to be a Research Assistant with Indspire’s Research Knowledge Nest!
Indspire is currently seeking two (2) Indigenous students or Indigenous recent graduates to join our Research Knowledge Nest’s as Research Assistants. This 12-month paid contract (May 2020-April 2021) will give you the opportunity to develop your research and analytical skills in a supportive, employee-centered environment.
In these roles, Indigenous students and Indigenous recent graduates have an opportunity to take on research in an environment curated to develop research skills, build a professional network and experience different applications of research in the workforce. The successful candidates will be mentored by Indigenous and non-Indigenous researchers, produce original research and reporting, support knowledge mobilization and learn from various experts. At the end of the contract, it is expected that the individuals will successfully apply for graduate school and/or applied research roles.
The position responsibilities of the Research Assistant include:
- Producing research results under supervision;
- Participating in online training and mentorship, as well as in person;
- Developing materials for communicating results, including reports, blog entries, videos and other resources;
- Providing feedback on program objectives for reporting; and
- Managing the completion of multiple tasks.
The duties within this job description can
be amended from time to time.
Candidates should possess:
- Desire to attend graduate school or work in a research-related career.
- A drive to learn, especially in a fast-paced, hands-on environment.
- At least an introductory exposure to statistics and economics material.
- A genuine interest in learning more statistics, econometrics in an applied context.
- Strong numeracy: a capacity to read and understand data from a variety of sources, synthesize understanding across multiple data sources and a generally positive attitude towards mathematical and statistical concepts.
- An interest in applying data science in an Indigenous context in Canada, to support and promote Indigenous interests.
- An ability to convey research results through writing or data visualizations, and an interest in mobilizing research findings .
- Sound interpersonal skills, cross-cultural awareness and understanding, and good judgement.
- Ability to work both in a team environment and independently, including ability to stay on task and effectively communicate as a remote staff person.
Indspire’s Research Knowledge Nest is looking to hire an interdisciplinary team. Prospective Research Assistants with one or more of the following skills or experiences are encouraged to apply:
- An ability to understand, write, and communicate coherently about data and technical work to a range of audiences.
- Experience in developing research, programs, or policy supporting Indigenous peoples in post-secondary education and their transition to the workforce.
- Experience in developing creative solutions to complex operational policy and evaluation problems.
- Experience writing high-quality, reusable code in Python or R, especially in a data collection, transformation and analysis context.
- Experience using relational databases, writing SQL queries and performing other database analysis tasks.
- An interest in data visualization, and a proven ability to clearly and aesthetically communicate research results.
Indspire is a national Indigenous registered charity that invests in the education of Indigenous people for the long-term benefit of these individuals, their families and communities, and Canada.
How to Apply
These are two full-time, 1-year contract positions, which can be based at one of Indspire’s two offices (Toronto or Six Nations) or remotely.
We are an Indigenous organization whose mandate is to promote opportunities for Indigenous people. As such, we encourage applications from qualified First Nations, Inuit and Métis post-secondary students and recent graduates. Candidates are encouraged to self-identify as Indigenous in their cover letters. Please send your resume and cover letter to HR@indspire.ca.
To apply, you must be in your final year of study of an undergraduate degree, or at a higher level of study, or have completed a degree in the past two years. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for Applications: Monday, April 6, 2020.