Rivers to Success is a national mentorship program that supports the academic and career success of Indigenous students. Rivers has two streams of mentorship. We match Indigenous post-secondary students with high school students to support and encourage graduation and transition to post-secondary. Rivers also pairs Indigenous post-secondary students with professionals in relevant career fields. The mentoring relationship is driven by the mentee’s developmental goals and the mentor’s knowledge and experience.
High School Students
Apply to be a Mentor
The program requires mentors and mentees to follow the steps below, which were developed by Indspire as a framework for success to facilitate a positive collaborative relationship:
1. Sign up at http://indspire.ca/for-students/mentorship-for-students/
Choose either: Apply to get a mentor OR Apply to be a mentor.
Are you in High School? Complete the PDF forms and email or fax to the Rivers Coordinator.
2. Complete Intake Screening: Screening includes an intake interview for all participants, police record checks for individuals 18 years and over and reference checks for high school mentors. Participation will begin after successful completion of the intake process.
3. Build a relationship: Mentors and mentees will be introduced by email. The mentor should initiate contact with the mentee within one month of receiving the email. Together choose dates and times to meet and how you will collaborate, e.g. via skype, email, phone etc.
4. Watch orientation webinar: All mentors and mentees are required to watch an orientation power point webinar. http://indspire.adobeconnect.com/p7zjqej5ze2/
5. Read the program guide: It will provide all of the information needed to guide a collaborative learning journey and establish a positive learning relationship.
6. Meet monthly: Communicate and collaborate with one another at least once per month. Choose specific dates and times to meet, whether by phone, Skype, in person, etc.
7. Stay Connected: The Program Coordinator will contact mentors and mentees 2-3 times during the year to check on progress.
8. Rematches: Sometimes personalities may not be compatible. If either party feels that the match is not working, please contact the Program Coordinator as soon as possible. We will make every effort to address concerns and/or find a more suitable match.
9. Complete surveys: There are three online surveys for mentors/mentees to complete during the program year. Upon completion of each of the three surveys, mentees will receive a $50 honorarium.
#1 Orientation & Goal Setting
#3 Program Feedback
10. Certificate of Completion: Mentors and mentees will receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the program year.
For more info, please contact us:
firstname.lastname@example.org | 1.855.INDSPIRE (463.7747) x271
Sandra Rotman, CM, O.Ont